Friday, August 12, 2011

Duncan

So named because when Mr. Boom found him wondering around he lured him with doughnuts. He's a sweet guy in his senior years who is a little skinny from living on the streets. I'm hesitant to call him 'ours' because I've made the effort to try to find his home by putting up fliers, using Internet lost and found adds and taking him to animal control to be scanned for a microchip and to find out if anybody had reported him missing, (negative to each of those.)
From a report of a dog matching his description animal control told me of, and a woman at Pet Smart saying she had tried to catch him too, I know he was outside for minimum of a day. Like I said though, he's skinny. He's not a bag of bones but it's definitely noticeable and his farts smell like he ate death. I found five ticks on him, he's got a couple of sores and he is a bit dirty. All of this leads me to believe he's been wondering the great outdoors for at least a week but still I can't find anybody who is looking for him.
I'm not sure why; he's a great dog. I've only known him little more than a day and I know:
  • He shows no interest in the cats and seeing as how he's a beagle, that's impressive.
  • He is house trained. He only dribbled a little inside but that was my fault for not realizing he was trying to signal me to take him out.
  • He's gentle. When I was looking him over for ticks he sat there and let me mess with all his body without a hint of annoyance.
  • He's quiet, aside from a little snoring I haven't heard him make a peep.
  • He likes the vacuum.
  • He is calm-submissive to Mr. Boom, myself and the cats.
  • He rides really well in the car.
  • He walks calmly on the leash.
I can't imagine why his owners aren't looking for him. I have not yet taken him to the vet so beside the possibility of some medical condition the only negative thing I could think of, (for some,) is that he's a bit older. A person at animal control said that if she had to guess she would say he is at least 8-years-old. I believe that but I'll see what the veterinarian says when I take him. It's not like he needs special care from what I can tell though. Aside from the stairs, which I think is more that he's never had to deal with stairs before than age, he moves around just fine. He's got a good amount of energy but not so much somebody might find it irritating.
I want to believe it was a mistake and maybe it is but either way, I don't understand why somebody isn't looking for this awesome dude and I never will. Veronica has been with me almost five years and the longer I know her the more I cannot understand how somebody could move away and leave her behind to fend for herself. Whatever the reasoning, I am glad Mr. Boom happened to be there to rescue Duncan. We will give him a good home and he can stay with us as long as he wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment